Your First Dance- Do it Your Way!
Choosing a first dance song is not easy! Like all of my wedding couples, I am too engaged to be married next year and this was supposed to be an easy and fun task! The fact is, me and my better half have SO many songs that reminds us of each other that it's becoming increasingly difficulty to narrow it down to just one. There are songs that remind us of certain places we have travelled together, songs that were present at specific moments in our relationship and important milestones. It is SO hard!
There is a lot of pressure, after all, our first dance song will be defined as 'our' song for the rest of our lives. Unfortunately this won't be Angel of Death by Slayer, much to my other half's disappointment.
I think there are some important things to remember when picking 'your song'.
1. Don’t get too many opinions. If you ask for recommendations or criticism, you'll find yourself trying to please others. Remember that everyone has a different taste in music. The final song choice is supposed to speak to you and your partner, so try and keep the decision between the two of you.
2. Remember that many songs will be played throughout the evening. You can prepare a playlist to be given to the DJ or live band to play for the evening if you have a lot of songs that you both love. You can dance the night away to all of your favourite songs that mean something to you both.
3. Be open-minded. Whether you like one genre or all kinds of music, grab a glass of wine or a bottle of beer and take some time to listen to different genre's. Make an evening out of it!
4. Follow your heart. Do not try and please everyone! Your song might not mean anything to anybody else, but your day is about YOU guys. If you have a particular song in mind that is important to you both, then have it! Get lost in it and enjoy it. Don’t be tempted to jump on the bandwagon of a trend on a day as significant as your wedding. You’ll remember this dance forever.
To make the process easier, I have compiled two lists of First Dance Wedding Songs. The first is the most popular and one's I have seen most at weddings, and the second is a quirky list!
In my opinion, a song that is a little bit more upbeat is always a good idea to get guests warmed up for dancing, but choose a rhythm that suits you. Most importantly, don’t be afraid to be unconventional and use a song that has some meaning to you and your partner!
Popular First Dance Songs of 2018
1. Ed Sheeran - Perfect
2. John Legend - All Of Me
3. Christina Perri - A Thousand Years
4. The Chainsmokers - Something Just Like This
5. Adele - Make You Feel My Love
6. Nat King Cole - LOVE
7. James Arthur - Say You Won't Let Go
8. La La Land - City Of Stars
9. Lana Del Ray - Love
10. Ellie Golding - Love Me Like You Do
11. Charlie Puth - One Call Away
13. Ed Sheeran - Thinking Out Loud
13. Hoobastank - The Reason
14. Frank Sinatra - The Way You Look Tonight
15. Etta James - At Last
16. Al Green - Lets Stay Together
17. Lonestar - Amazed
18. Goo Goo Dolls - Iris
19. Bruno Mars - Marry You
20. Elvis - Can't Help Falling In Love With You
Unique First Dance Songs
1. Bob Marley – Is This Love
2. The Smiths – There Is A Light That Never Goes Out 3. The Cure - The Love Cats
4. Gregory Porter – Real Good Hands
5. Pulp – Something Changed
6. Johnny Cash - I Walk The Line
7. Buzzcocks - Ever Fallen In Love
8. Rex Orange County - Loving Is Easy
9. Abba – I do I do I do
10. Paloma Faith – Just Be
11. Arctic Monkeys - Baby I'm Yours
12. Queen - You're My Best Friend
13. Nirvana - Heart Shaped Box
14. Goldie – Single Petal Of A Rose
15. Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros - Home
16. Def Leppard – Pour Some Sugar On Me
17. Sade – Your Love Is King
18. The xx - Islands
19. Depeche Mode – Just Can't Get Enough
20. Beach Boys - God Only Knows
REMEMBER to have fun and show your personality. It is YOUR wedding day.